Saturday, August 05, 2006

A nice walk

Sheffield is such a great city, I take the tram to the end of the line, walk ten minutes and begin following one of the many rivers. All of a sudden the city landscape has receded behind, and I'm following a path that is reminiscent of many throughout the peak district. I had visions of a great 16 mile walk, but after an hour i realise that months of commuting to work rather than walking has had it's toll on my walking ability. So after a slight unplanned deviation from my prefered route due to a confusion of interlinking footpaths I find myself in Dungworth. Consulting my map I decide to carry along a road, overlooking the damflask reservoir before heading upwards over the moors. It is here I stop and have some lunch and do some reading before the my push to the summit. The view is really spectacular as i look down onto Hollow Meadows, with the peaks of win and lose hill in the distance to the right and to the left the far off high rise buildings in the city. Down into the valley, and back up again, over moorland to redmires where I head to catch the 51 to the universit, on the way I walk past the three merry lads, and pop in for a well needed coke and read a bit more. So an edited walk, but an interesting one as i navigate fairly unused and overgrown pathways that once were probably hives of activity linking farming communities before cars allowed travel in and out of the city as a quicker alternative to traversing the valleys. Ten miles isn't a bad walk, and I feel much better for it.

1 comment:

Alastair said...

Sounds fantastic

But I'm confused, what are these peak things you mention, we don't have any of these in East Anglia :-)