Sunday, December 18, 2005

Walking in the peak district

I'd planned to go for a walk on saturday, so after I popped into town early in the morning to finish my christmas shopping, i headed out to Hope and set off on a walk. Went up loose hill, along the top, down mam tor and around onto the limestone way, down past peveril castle into castleton and back to Hope.

It was beautiful, and though quite windy on the top, the weather was fine, certainly beats the bustling crowds shopping.







I had a sit down on Mam Tor for a short while, to take a bit of food, in a little enclove nestled on the side of the hill. This little alcove would've been the site for a celtic iron age hut about 3,000 years ago.

The last coupld of miles of the walk were quite bad, somehow I'd managed to hurt my knee, twisted something, I don't know, but it really hurt to walk. I had to negotiate this fairly steep decline that was really uneven, and managed this like some kind of geriatric. It's amazing how an injury affects movement, in fact I resigned to walking along the road back to Hope because it hurt so much, and spent the rest of the day trying not to move my leg it was so painful. Thankfully it's getting better, and though my limping brought some amusement at church, I can now almost negotiate the stairs with no trouble at all.

No comments: