Monday, January 16, 2006

church, carpet laying and darts

Sang this charles wesley hymn on sunday

Let earth and heaven combine,
Angels and men agree,
To praise in songs divine
The incarnate Deity,
Our God contracted to a span,
Incomprehensibly made man.

and it reminded me of some thoughts I'd had over christmas, celebrating God taking human form, becoming a weak baby. Which is interesting in itself, this notion of christ being divinely human, setting the christian faith apart from most other major religions (i guess there are hindus that can accept that christ is another manifestation of god - brahma). What I was thinking was that Christ was a foetus (and one we are led to believe was recognised by the foetus of john the baptist) and taking that back a step further, christ was a single cell. How can the awesome-ness of god be confined to the space of a mere cell, which I think Charles sums up perfectly in the last two lines of the above verse. These thoughts aren't meant as a ridicule to the notion of the trinity but rather as exemplyfying the mysteriousness and incomprehensibility of god, which is often overlooked, particularly at christmas when it's easy to forget the wonderment of god manifest in the christchild.

Another thought that was stimulated at church was during the discussion of the epipheny story. Why bring gold - because it is precious - what is precious? What is precious to me (not material possessions, but what is precious to my life), and would i willingly give that to christ.

Now I don't want to give the impression that i spend hours each day considering all these theological paradoxes, cos i don't, in fact i didn't give these any more thought until just now, cos sun afternoon I discovered something else at which I'm rubbish at. Laying vinyl cushioned flooring (an off cut that was just big enough for my tiny bathroom that i got from my m+d), I'd give myself a 7/10, it's just impossible to cut it out nice and neat around the edges due to it's inflexibility. However, it doesn't look too bad and my dad suggested i could get some edging to run around to make it look neater.

Then in the evening I enjoyed watching the darts final, I love watching darts, and as a student I barely missed a match during the tournament - a welcome relief to all that studying for exams. Yesterday it was an all dutch final and 100-1 outside Jelle, a 21 year old became the youngest winner of the competition - and no doubt the lightest too!

No comments: